Ending a Marriage on a Positive Note: The Benefits of Mediation in FL
Ending a marriage can be difficult, but it is possible to move forward with the right help and the right approach.
Just as there are many diverse marital dynamics in Florida and in the United States, there are also different types of divorce situations. When it comes to divorce, one size does not fit all. Fortunately, there are several options that are available to people who are seeking dissolution of marriage. While some marriages end in a heated flurry of strong emotions, other separations are mutually agreed upon. Mediation offers a way for couples to discuss the terms surrounding their divorce in a civil, non-confrontational atmosphere, rather than going through a traumatic court battle that can last for years and ruin a family in the process.Discovering the meaning of mediation
During the mediation process, couples are able to create their own, unique divorce settlement that is customized to their specific situation, according to the Huffington Post. In order to do this, the couple sits down with a neutral, third-party mediator and discusses matters pertaining to the separation, such as property division, child custody, child support and spousal support. The mediator cannot give personal legal assistance to either party, but is available to answer any general legal questions and to ensure all topics regarding the divorce are resolved.Advantages to mediation
Mediation is not ideal for every couple going through a divorce. Some marriages have ended in a way where the couple is unable to discuss matters of divorce in a civil manner. However, those who can benefit from the mediation process may enjoy the following advantages, according to the American Bar Association.
- Mediation is less expensive than a traditional court divorce.
- In most cases, a divorce can be settled quicker through mediation, as many settlements can be completed within one or two mediation sessions.
- Couples are often more compliant with their divorce decrees when they have had a personal hand in creating them.
- Settlements customized through mediation can include terms, such as personalized time-sharing schedules and child support amounts that may be impossible through traditional litigation.
- Mediation takes place in a laid back, casual atmosphere, which is often less stressful for couples going through a divorce.
People who resolve the terms of their divorce settlement through mediation often walk away from the marriage with a more positive relationship than they would have if they had gone through a court battle. This is particularly helpful for parents or business partners who must continue to interact with one another.Why an attorney is important
Although you are not required to have an attorney during the mediation process, a family lawyer can be extremely helpful to your case. Not only will you have personalized legal advice from a lawyer who thoroughly understands the divorce process in Florida, but you can rest assured that you will receive everything that you are entitled to in the divorce as well.